The Brief 1/31/17: Design News You Might Have Missed
by Theresa Christine Johnson on 01/31/2017 | 2 Minute Read
Lately it feels like everyone is addicted to scrolling through social media feeds, and with good reason—there’s a lot going on right now. We’d just like to take a moment to say that we are an American company (based in LA) with readers all around the world, and we value diversity in all aspects of The Dieline. If, like us, you’re looking for ways to stand up for civil rights in these trying times, then check out (and volunteer with and donate to) some of the amazing non-profits that we love.
You may have noticed some changes here with The Dieline, including lots of new, amazing content—which actually, we’d like your help with! Aside from showcasing the latest packaging, we’re also looking for insightful features on design trends and helpful advice. If you’re interested in submitting to The Dieline, check out our submission guidelines.
Here’s the latest:
- $27 hand balm that you might want to buy, just for the packaging.
- Insightful—three packaging innovations brands must understand.
- WHAT. “The Dutch organic trade company Nature & More wants to end this and has developed a method which can apply the printed label directly to the fruit and vegetables—and it is edible and organically certified.”
- I wonder where this growing demand for alcoholic beverages is coming from…?
- Remember that Tostitos packaging for the Superbowl that will tell you if you’ve been drinking and also call you an Uber? It’s an excellent example of when the packaging becomes the product.
- Could Ho Chi Minh City be the next big design hub? Past The Dieline Awards winners from Rice Creative weigh in.
- What do big brands like Airbnb, Lyft, Nike, Starbucks, and Kickstarter all have in common? They’ve all taken a stand against President Trump’s immigration ban.
- You may smoke it or eat it, but would you wear a cannabis fragrance?
- This clever calendar will count down the days until the next presidential inauguration and will look pretty slick on your desk—but more importantly, also remind you about important dates for voting and voter registration along with government holidays and special occasions (like Putin’s birthday).
- How do you get people excited about your work? “And lastly, remember: you’ve found work that you love. That’s the ultimate dream for so many people, and you’re not just dreaming about, you’re doing it and living it. If that’s not ‘impressive,’ then I don’t know what is.”
- Get your protest on with some amazing signs.
- So cool! Pantone and Airbnb teamed up to make an “Outside In” house inspired by this year’s Color of the Year. If you’re in London, you can stay there.
- The 2016 Beazley Design of the Year goes to Ikea for their flat pack refugee shelter.
ps late registration for The Dieline Awards ends today. Enter your project before pricing goes up.